Skype counselling using video is an effective, cutting edge online counselling format that allows you to have a live two-way audiovisual counselling session from the privacy and convenience of your own home.
This means you can see and hear your counsellor and they can see and hear you so you get an experience very close to that of face to face counselling.
Five Advantages of Skype Counselling
1. You can see a counsellor who does not necessarily live close by, which means you can choose someone you would really like to see because they offer a particular approach or have expertise and experience with a particular problem for example trauma or anger.
2. You can have counselling from the convenience and privacy of your own home. This means you do not have to travel to see your counsellor which takes time and increases costs.
3. You get to have a similar experience to face to face counselling but without the exposure which can be daunting for some.
4. You can have it with or without video
5. Best of all a one hour Skype video counselling call is free.
Is Skype counselling confidential?
Yes, all Skype sessions are encrypted to ensure confidentiality. You can read more about it on Skype’s website
What equipment will I need?
You will need to have a webcam connected to your computer. These are quite cheap and can be bought from high street shops or online. Nowadays, most laptops come with built-in webcams and of course you can use tablets like ipads etc.
It may also be worth buying a headset which will give you more comfort and increase your sense of privacy, however this is not crucial.
How do I get started?
What is Skype counselling?
You will also need to have an internet speed of 500kbps so that the video quality is not jerky as this could make the experience less than realistic.
You don’t need to be a computer wizard to open a Skype account. Simply download and install the software and follow the step-by-step instructions on their website. If you have a windows computer click here for download page. For MAC computers click here
Once you have done this open up skype and add me to your Contact List. My username is “Brooksyeft”. If you make an appointment you can call me from your computer or if you leave me your username I can call you.